(3018-01-12) Steak at a Stake out
Summary: Katie (NPC played by Zee) offers a little moonlighting work to Andy
Date: 3018-01-12
andy 

Katie was at her desk, which was conveniently across from her partners. At the moment, she's tossing a coin up and down, catching it, flipping it, weaving it between her fingers. There's something on her mind but she's not mentioned it as of yet. Waiting, just waiting. Her OED chimes and she hesitates long enough to check it. A frown mars her brow as she taps out a response then hits enter with more force than necessary. When sh e looks up again though, the expression has cleared and she's back to tossing up the coin and catching it. A habit of hers. The coin is worthless, money isn't used anymore, but it's one that had been salvaged eons ago and she sometimes wondered at the society who put such stock in what could be destroyed so easily.

*

Coming from where ever they might hang personal affects, coat, jacket, hat, anything not related to uniform, Andy is there. Between her sending the message and returning to flipping the coin. "Hey, they don't pay you enough to learn new skills like that," he says, just teasing. Its either that or pondering if she has enough work, like he could make more when its a slow day around the office and people don't want to finish reports. Noticing her pondering look, not realizing its about the coin probably, "What's on your mind P, plans for the weekend? Something big, you got into some fancy new restuarant during prime time with the celebreties go out, hoping to meet some fancy pants fellow?" Its all teasing as he moves around to his chair, which he mounts by throwing one leg over it like he's getting onto a horse, and spinning it so the back is an arm rest for both elbows right in front of him. Like he's not going to work either, but shoot the breeze or something. <English>

*

"Hey, while I was waiting for you, I wrapped up that Anderson Zavala case. He's gone to Jupiter and she's in counseling for the next.. however long it takes. Thirty days minimum." A self satisfied smile crosses her features but she doesn't linger on just that. "I got a lead on a con man been swindling resources from unsuspecting elderly by going door to door in the condo complex outside of the city. He wears a disguise and no OED. The story has been running in the square on the holos and it's not our case, but when I was walking through there earlier, I heard someone talking about knowing something about it. Plain clothes work is great. I hung around listening for awhile, but there was nothing further. Turned off my info swap on my OED and accidentally tapped mine to theirs and got their info. We can check it out sometime if you want. Off the clock of course." <English>

*

"Look at you, all professional," he says, about her wrapping up paperwork and dotting the i's and crossing the t's even. There was a slight pause about Zavala and what processing is recommending for her, but he latches onto the curiousity with Katie and the off the clock work. "What's this, accidently swapping info, getting leads to outside cases," Andy may be torn on the moonlighting bit and doing more work, or it causing any trouble for them by officers that would otherwise be assigned to the work. Its the swindling con that has him curious though, "Yeah, maybe we can check it out. If we passed that along, it sit in a file for a few months before it was assigned properly." Questionable duty and all, "Lets see what we can get, we can pass it along later, but if it helps now. We could let him know someone is onto him even, that might help those folks." The elderly. <English>

*

Katie gives him a wink because she reads the pause as to being in great awe of her abilities in settling the cases. A thumbs up is offered. "I also got the video feed for the entirety of the evening from when she showed to when she left. It's filed and it's interesting." Not in a porno sort of interest but more along the lines of questionable behavior. "Apparently she'd been there awhile, drinking, before his arrival. Anyway, the morals of said individuals aren't in question, the acts are and that's what we've done. Case Closed." Moving on with the con man, Katie perks up at his interest. "You have plans tonight after work? Maybe we could check things out then? I'll even throw in dinner at my place if you've an interest for it. I've got more news for you." <English>

*

He listens, its information, its work related, but Andy is torn. Porno interest or not, whether he liked that sort of thing, he had no interest further because of who was in that video. "Good deal P, so dinner to celebrate you wrapping it all up and hear this other news?" He's curious and it seems she's with-holding (sp) it. He ponders a moment, "Yeah, I think Sabrina can visit a neighbor for a few hours, I could swing by for dinner, ponder this con man and you can share this news you got." While he agrees, he checks his OED, logging into SPA to check for assignments just to be sure, or at least, their next patrol to be on call and Responsive. "I think we're about clear, just meet at your place after work then?" <English>

*

- Zee rolls her Perception (3D+0) for a total of 16 (Wild Die: 9), perhaps enough for a Difficult task.

*

Katie is pretty perceptive. They'd been partners for enough time for her to get to know him and some of his moods. And now is no different. Taking from his lead this time, she knows when to stop. "We can check the source then go have dinner at my place. I left something in the pot to cook on a timer, it'll be ready by the time we get there. And yes, this other news I can relay once there. It's more off the clock stuff, so I don't really want to take work hours for it. While he checks the OED, she waits to see if they have anything on the agenda for the day, or anything new coming in. A brow is cocked and an expectant look as she waits to hear the result of his checking. <English>

*

"Nothing there," he responds after looking at his OED. They can file things away and get to the clocking out bit of sitting around the office. "Lets wrap up here, follow you lead then get some dinner." He doesn't shut off the OED, he sends a message to his neighbor about his daughter, and one to his daughter to go, getting it all cleared up. "Is it exciting news, you seem in a good mood P?" He asks curiously, double checking all on his desk to make sure its in order for wrapping up and heading out to find her potential source. All taht looks square enough, "How far to your source, we footing it, or need to find a ride?" That all done, he dismounts his chair and turns it about the right way to tuck under the desk. A slight look, to walk back to affects and prepare to regroup outside, on the tail end of those curious questions while closing up shop in the office. <English>

*

"Then we're all clear." Katie starts wrapping things up too and leans back in her chair, stretching, after doing so much work for the day already. On paper it looked like a lot when in reality it had taken only a short time. After she gets to her feet, she lifts her arm with the OED and virtually clocks out. "We;re going to walk since it's not far then call a ride to get us and take us to my place." There's a look back over to him as he straightens his desk area and she gives a smile and a shake of her head. "Perfectionist. It looks good. let's get out of here?" Leaving it to when he was ready. <English>

*

"Fine fine, lets beat feet," he chuckles and steps away, moving to walk with her. To grab their personal items and end their shift as they go. Most likely signing off through their OED. He'll more move to get out, so they can actually get to moving, picking up more to start talking as they exit the SPA headquarters and get away. "I am totally curious though, you just picked up conversation or where you listening about for tidbits? Were you sleuthing for information or just came across this lead?" Curious now, mabye Katie moonlights more than he knows out of her own curiousity, where as Andy does his job during regular hours mostly and afterhours its either his daughter, or gambling or a mix maybe. <English>

*

Katie did sign off on her OED (in the last pose) and she's more than ready to go. Once they get away enough she continues on the conversation. "I was watching the holo display there, having a coffee, and heard someone mentioning the current story and knowing something about it. I wasn't trying to find out more, just keeping up to date on headlines. Our own headlines were recent news, apparently, and I always find it interesting seeing those on the holo." Purely accident, her tone says with honesty. "So I figured once the work day was over we could check it, if you were interested." <English>

*

"I'm with you, I like to find them sometiems too," their own little stories on the display. They're so local and small scale, its bottom line at best, but public record was made public while headlines went to the bigger displays in the square. Knowing exactly what she talks about, Andy nods right along, no comment on watching for their latest work on the dispaly though. "Yeah, we can check it, help if we can or pass it along the proper channel. But if it helps with that scammer, all the better." That he can be in for, even if not following proper protocol. Took the right circumstance for him make such a move. "We getting coffee on the way, or you just itching to get some answers from this stranger?" He pauses a beat, "And who is it or where we going? What scoop did you get from the info swap?" <English>

*

True to her perceptions earlier, Katie makes no further mention of their latest work. And she won't. As it is though, she glances over towards the display when they are close enough, because she'd been headed for the coffee shop anyway. "You know me all too well. Coffee it is. Come on inside." Stepping inside, their senses are given over to the fresh baked aroma of pastries and freshly brewed coffee. The order taker is of course electronic and she looks over it, opting for a large coffee and then looks over the pastries and sandwiches before opting only for the coffee. "I don't mind waiting for the stranger. The info swap gave his name and address. I ran them both. An Alan Moore who supposedly is into gambling and spending resources beyond his means. He's been counseled twice." <English>

*

A chuckle, "Its more like work if we're drinking coffee while doing it." Andy lets her lead the way then steps right on in with her, giving the place a once over. Waiting his turn on the holo or touch screen of the order taking device, he goes for some black energy drink that's not quite coffee, and definitely a pastry, a bear claw if they have them. Most likely they do, if he's a regular here. "Alan Moore, eh? Beyond his means, sounds like just the sort to be tangled up in some scam of residents that aren't using all their resourcs. What's your take P?" He asks as orders are being whipped up. "This Alan character only said he knows something on the scammer? Someone he's met in reform, or maybe they've worked together before, seeing as Alan may be after acquiring resources to keep his gambling habit active?" He'll take his drink and pastry when the order comes up, ready to eat, walk and discuss en route to visit with Alan. <English>

*

There are all the pastries and a few sandwiches, it was a popular coffee shop and one they'd both visited before. Often. "See? Exactly what I was thinking," Katie tells him after he deduces the same thing she had. "He says he knows something about it, maybe meaning to talk only to himself, certainly not meaning to be overheard. I'm thinking that he's part of it, but I didn't want to influence your take on it. I love your instincts, did I ever tell you that before?" A grin is given over to him. Collecting her coffee, no food or pastry, and she'll talk at his side, eyeing his pastry once they are away from the coffee shop. "So, yes, basically, he knows the perp from before, or can recognize him from the footage or they're in cahoots." <English>

*

"What, mine, yours are better, sometimes my instincts almost get me shot," he chides, half serious though he may be. Andy moves with her as he turns over the thoughts she offers. Seeing her eye his pastry, he'll offer over some to share if she is interested. Either a bite or two, or he could break it in half. That extension of his hand seeming to be the invite to take what she will most likely. "Or just to gloat a little. I agree, its most likely someone he knows or would recognize." He'll take his own bite, chewing. Mostly swallowed, he nods, "So, we just approach him like that overheard and are curious, see his reaction to our approach? Maybe he'll reveal something just by use acknowledging we know he's aware of something, yeah?" <English>

*

Just a bite is all she'll take, a small piece broken off that she will enjoy before giving him a slightly worried look. "If this turns out to be something legitimately dangerous, I want us to agree to vacate the premises immediately. Taking no chances with you getting shot. Again." A contemplative look, "We could observe for a bit or just go right in there, questions blazing, but I'm pretty sure that the direct approach is the best one to take for this. What do you think? Are you agreeable to just being blunt?" <English>

*

Taking a drink, he wipes at his lips with a sleeve, not that its needed most likely, maybe a habit of Andy's. He responds, holding his drink up still, "Yeah, right, no more getting shot, we do agree on some things see." Half a grin from Andy at the thought. "Blunt, not blazing maybe. Direct to the point of saying we heard he might know something. Obviously if he's trying to hide something or invovled criminially, I well imagine he'll ask about offical warrants or something to question him. If not, then he'll answer our questions or we can lead him there. Play it by ear." Another drink for the moment as the head for this man's place on foot. "And neither of us get shot, I'm just as curious about your other news." And that dinner. <English>

*

Katie agrees and takes a sip of her coffee before being more vocal on that agreement. "Yeah I'm sure he's trying to hide something. Why don't I provide backup while you question so we don't show our cards too early on. I could be just around the corner, keeping watch." If Alan thinks only one is there, then maybe he'd end up jumping the gun. "Yeah, neither of us get shot. I can't wait to tell you the news." A smile is given over to him as they near the building. She pauses outside it though, waiting for his decision on going together or as her being backup to him. <English>

*

A consideration there, Andy hands over his drink and pastry. "I can go meet with Alan, see what we can find out." He doesn't want to hold drink or food while seeking out or talking to this fellow, hence the handing over of the items. "And I know just how much food and drink are left, I'll be monitoring them on my return," a tease of a warning at that, he's good if she helped herself. After all, he knows where she lives. "The signal if I'm in trouble will be three whistles and I'll itch my left ear. If I itch my right ear, I'm just fine. If I scratch my nose, it means he has back up." Andy starts to rattle off a few made up signals just to tease, as if saying he'll be just fine. That and they know each other enough to not need complex signals, plus she'll have visuals. on him. <English>

*

The food and drink are taken and tucked away with her own drink, behind the bush on a small metal slab or cooling unit. She leaves them and nods about the gestures, and while she crouches with her hand on her weapon at the ready, she grins at him. "Got it, P. Just be careful, he's Jupiter next offense, he has nothing to lose." She laughs at the teasing about the drink. "The food I'm going to give you is far better than that bear claw." A teasing smile as he heads off for the complex, and she waits.. watching. <English>

*

"Nothing to loose, eh? Good to know now," he sort of scrunches his face accusingly, as if that was a convenient fact to leave out until right before he's about to confront the man. Andy chuckles though, "Good point, your cooking is better. Eat it all up, save your home cooking for me then." That said, he crosses away from the bench where she's stationed to the man's front door to knock and see if he's home. Giving it a good pound so Alan hears it no matter where the man is, in his home. That done, Andy thrusts hands into pockets to wait. <English>

*

It was such a cop knock, that pounding that was unmistakable and there's a brief sound of scuffling from inside and a thump against the wall and some heated words. "Fucker, they followed YOU!" More scuffling before there's another thud like fist on flesh before things get silent for the moment. The door remains closed. Now, Katie can't hear any of what goes on, but she watches her partner. <English>

*

What he hears causes Andy to lift a hand and indicate there is some sort of trouble. Its a hard call, they're off duty and could be in trouble for tracking leads like this, so he's not certain they should call it in. About to grab the handle and try to shoulder the door, which she might see, he instead takes a step back to survey the building itself. He lifts his wrist and uses his OED to dial over to Katie. If it stops ringing cause she answers, he doesn't wait but asks a quick question, "Is there a back door here?" He didn't check the layout of the building and isn't sure if someone could run in that direction now. <English>

*

Hearing the ring, Katie takes the call and at the question she moves down to check. "Patio's on the lot of them but fire escapes too, so yes to your answer. I don't see anyone back here though."
About that time there's a vehement whisper from inside, "Shut the fuck up, they'll go away!" The voice is raspy and the second voice is more a mumble, sounding like something is covering their mouth. "I swear, Sloth, if you get us busted by your fucking mouth, I'll cut your fucking head off, piss down your neck and shoot the fuck out of your sister, for good measure." Again there's silence that follows. Apparently the two are waiting it out. If there are in fact only two. <English>

*

Hearing that, Andy backs up a little more, then turns to walk away. "Stakeout then movie?" He asks, giving her his intention. Only when he thinks he's out of earshot. "I think the scammer's in there with him. If we wait and watch, we can ID him ourselves. Maybe capture a shot of him before we leave." Its just their OEDs and all, but better than nothing. "If you're up for it. It could get rough if we go in now." Then can meet up and discuss plans even. <English>

*

Taking him at his word for it, Katie wears a concerned look but collects the drinks and his pastry. "You got it, stakeout then.. wait, movie?" A tilt of her head but she corrects. "Dinner. But for now, we wait, record and see what we can find out." She lets him choose where they'll meet up though. "I have the drinks and that bear claw of yours and I'm holding them hostage until you tell me where we set up the 'sting.'" <English>

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License