(3018-01-26) Field Test
Summary: After contact is lost with an evacuation ship from Caelus, the students are sent on a field test/mission alongside Astros Corps to investigate
Date: Jan 26, 3018
ceres chloe davor sunny 

During training or classes, a personal call comes through the OED of several students. Only a small handful, requesting they report to a room at Aristarchus Station within a few hours. Its curious, the communication if overheard by others draws a few eyes from the students it was sent to, but otherwise it remains mysterious. Its more closer to the time that revelations may come. The figure known as Prospero of the Society of the Sacred is present along with standing XO at the Celestial Academy, Admiral Barrett. Its at the appointed time that the Admiral stands, "Thank you for attending. As some of you have heard, there are terrible storms on Oberon effecting the evacuation at the Herschel Science Center." His voice gruff, he pauses a moment to let that sink in, this is relating to the evacuation itself, real field work, not training.
"A small science vessel, the Saratoga launched not less than a day ago," he begins, and by small he most likely, "A joint SFC and Astro Corps mission, including ship pilot, physician and two mech pilots was sent to extract Dr. McPhearsen and his mission critical research." Again gruff, and the pause to let it sink in. "We lost contact with the Saratoga several hours prior to their destined arrival time. We've coordinated," a nod to Prospero, "To estimate trajectory and have located the ship adrift. A small unit of Astro Corps are going to board the ship, we would like to use this opportunity to field test the current programs." Phenoms and Adroits he means. "One hour to prepare and meet up in Bay 18."

*

Upon receiving the missive, Chloe assures her squad she'll make sure to write out what she had planned for their battlefield simulation later that afternoon and forward it to her XO if she isn't going to be able to make it.
At the meeting the blonde's face is a stoic expression of grim resolve, though once the Admiral finishes she gently raises a hand into the air, and when noticed lowers it and says softly, "Is there any indications if the Curse is responsible for this storm or the unexpected loss of contact with our rescue operations?" She's dressed only in a simple white jumpsuit with her name across the right breast.

*

This time Ceres is armored up. The colors are silver, white and traces of blue. Her weapon is yet to be attached at her hip but it rests in a large, light metal scabbard. Someone was going at it old school style. The helm part of her armor is also with her, but it retracts with a push of a button. Or a verbal command, and curremtly it's back, leaving her able to openly communicate with the others. There are no questions from her, she just looks prepared for whatever was to come.

*

Admiral Bennett, still in a standing position which he had taken to address the gathered students, turns first to look at Chloe. "We are uncertain if the increase in storm activity on Oberon is driven by something we do not understand of the Curse. However, it has become a more comman tactic of theirs to attack during these intense storms." A slight pause as he looks quietly from her to the other students. "Presumably a tactic because they have learned the storms interfere with our space to surface communications as well as increased difficulty in navigating mechs and crew to the surface during the worst storms." He paces just a little, looking to Prospero half a second, then back to the students, "We are not certain if they've had anything to do with the loss of communication with the Saratoga, but this would be something new if they've figured out a way to affect our ships." There could be more on that topic, floor open to questions however as he stops speaking.

*

That seems to satisfy Chloe for the moment, nodding gently and falling silent beyond that. Her brows furrow somewhat, gears turning inside that pretty head of hers but mouth closed, and part of her mind turning to what all she needs to get done from the time this briefing is dismissed until she has to report to the bay.

*

Gathered in an hour, they board the small frigate, Titan's Hope. Details of Saratoga are given, its a small sized capital ship with minimal required crew. More something between a standard firgate and a capital ship, on the lighter side. A science vessel with a few levels of living quarters and research areas packed onto a small ship. Titan's Hope is a true frigate, enough room for pilot and co-pilot/gunner as necessary with a small area for 4 to 6 passengers (or a brig in some cases that can hold 4 prisoners). Once the approach is begun towards Saratoga, one of the two Astro Corps soliders relays a holo dispaly with the captain of the ship to the passengers room. The room is little more than prep room near the landing hanger of the frigate, with chairs and a small table which bring up the holo showing readouts of the ship. "We're getting negative readouts on the crew currently," says the captain back to the cadets and Astro Corps members. After a brief pause, "No, some feint signs, in their brig," he reports, "And lots of damage to the ship." Nothing external on the damage meter. One of the mech pilots, "Not promising, never heard of the Curse on a ship before like that." Given to all as general information, something wildly unimagined before perphaps. He nods to the cadets, there are nearby suits ready for those who need atmospheric suits to go from Titan's Hope to Saratoga (Davor will take one). "You all ready for this, anything you all need to do." He waves his fingers a little, that astro corps soldier, suggesting any magic to be done or something as part of utilizing their abilities on this mission.

*

Chloe is now outfitted in her bulky white TerraArmor, her rifle currently in the holding locker near the door, the small white particle pistol in a holster in her utility belt beside the old-fashioned looking steel pommel of a sword, though it lacks any visible blade at the moment. A few small pouches around her hips hold spare ammo clips and emergency medical supplies for repairing suit breeches and to treat vacuum exposure. She's silent during the trip, almost eerily so, but then as they study the plans she isn't quite sure if she should take charge like she is used to or let the others take command, but does speak up, using the speakers on the helmet rather than folding it back which gives her voice a bit of computer-like modulation, "They might have gone to the brig to preserve what life support remained, is the computers responding to any close range hails?"

*

A look over to Davor as Ceres has taken the suit as well, Ceres gives him a concerned look. "Be careful, would you?" It's all she manages to say about being worried about her twin without mothering him to death or something. Settled in for the haul, she looks between the two she knows. Davor and Chloe. "So what's you guys take on it?" Just their ideas in general. Perhaps the question hints that she does /not/ want to be the one in charge here. She's a soldier, not a tactics sort of person. "Just point me in the right direction," she murmurs.

*

The captain doesn't respond, he was taxi on this, nor the crew of Titan's Hope. Instead its the cadets and the two mech pilots from Astro Corps. The one of higher rank (E-3 it looks like), listens as they students get ready. Davor chimes in once, "Do I need to go, or can I just send my drone?" There was a bit of a case for something he brought back there.
The Ranking member responds in kind to them. "That could be, if they're in the brig, it could be security to reinforce against whatever is on that thing. That's my guess." A response to Chloe and a return to Ceres for their take, "We breath a hull, try to find what did all that. Don't know if we can scan from here." A slight look towards Davor is given. But then a nod.
Davor needs to suit up, he doesn't have terrasuit or armor assigned to him, so takes one of the onboard units to start getting ready. The captain calls back, "No response to close range hails, they did send a weak distress signal. It looks like a warning, says contaminated." Not many details it seems.

*

Chloe nods a bit, then turns to the other cadets, "Alright, are we going to try and go through the dock or a hull breech? There's also a chance the gravity systems might have failed so be prepared for that." She undoes her belting and stands to retrieve her rifle from the wall mounting, much like the rest of her the weapon is pure white. "That's.. not a good sign. Well CO I'll defer to you, but I think our best bet is to go through a hull breech nearest the brig, a standard 1-3-1 formation." In laymens terms, one point, two meters of space, three, two meters of space, one read guard.

*

There were two things that cross Ceres mind and she looks to the man talking. "Contaminated? Does that mean with gasses.. or the Curselings or what? It could be any number of things really. We go in prepared for a fight, but with our helms on and face shields sealed, in case it's contaminated in several ways." She nods to Chloe and there's a look of relief that Davor would remain inside with sending his drones in. "How long until our approach?" Mooooom, are we there yet? :P

*

"Don't know but I'm guessing contaimatnion might mean Cursling. If its a Curseling, no one wants it loose on a planet. We think that's how they've gotten between moons and planets, without ships of their own, passengers on some of ours during refugee evacuations. We think it only takes one," to spread. So says the soldier. Davor, suited up now, moves to the container to get out his drone, a wheeled drone that could be good for probing around, who knows what it actually does, bue he's more quiet.
"We go with that formation. You three between us, we'll have more armor should anything go wrong. We're a couple minutes out, we can jump all of us across in a couple more minutes." With their bigger thrusters that is.

*

Chloe nods at the assessment and looks over Davor's drone for several moments while she busies her hands with slinging the rifle across her back and tightening the shoulder strap to keep it snug against the shell of her armor so that it won't be a bother nor slip free somehow during EVA. She retakes her seat, though without strapping back in, and remains quiet for the rest of the ride, studying the hologram designs of the Saratoga and commiting it to memory.

*

The hologram is also what Ceres studies, looking for the best routes for hiding, the best for escape, the best to traverse without getting lost. The drone is given a glance to see if it was a familiar one to her, but mostly she looks at the holo and listens. "A curseling only takes one to procreate? No wonder they are taking over. And spreading bad. I wonder if they'd show on an x-ray thing and each ship before departing an occupied area going to an unoccupied area could be scanned." It's a thought, likely not an original one.

*

"Most sensors are keyed to heat signatures," returns the soldier, moving back towards the hanger/landing gear to get into his light mecha, his counterpart following suit. Hopefully they all follow, "And the Curselings are cold blooded. Or something, they don't need heat or cold, just they are room temperature most times." Maybe there is a censor specific to finding them, a handheld or other device, which they don't seem to have, not planned for. "If it was feasible, we'd scan all ships before docking," something to consider for other Adroits developing new technology at least. "Suit up, we'll get this circus moving," he says, to suggest the hanger will open soon. They can carry any student unable to get across themselves. With two arms on the mecha each, no problem to get them going. Questions are welcome to continue, but once everyone is ready, seal the back compartment and open the landing, to launch into space towards the Saratoga, floating dead in space before them.
The captain of the ship will relay to them the location of bring as needed, OED's can be tuned to the short range communications chan.

*

Once it's time to stage up for egress, Chloe stands and helps Davor secure the tether for his drone to the mecha, inside the suit's helmet she's smiling at him, but he probably can't see that and reminds herself of it as she says, "Good work, this thing outta be real useful." Then she's stepping up onto the mecha's leg to grab at the hardpoint on the arm with her left hand, using her right to attach the tether clip, then grabbing and holding fast the rifle just in case bullets need be fired at something before they disembark to board the Satatoga.

*

Yeah, about that. Ceres isn't a flyer. Neither is her armor. Old school, she looks almost like a knight preparing for battle back in the Arthurian times, except she's clean and her teeth were white and all there. Her face shield is in place over her helm now and she braces a hand on the pommel of her sword as she goes to be helped across by one of the mecha, as if it's something she's done every day of her life. Only her fidgeting belies that bit of fear, the nervous gesture. There's not a lot more talking from her, she's trying on her game face.. and it was go time.

*

Sunny has arrived.

*

Sunny has partially disconnected.

*

Getting suited up, Sunny is quick to join the others. He'd like a lot more time to prepare though his magic is still a relatively new thing to him, he'd like to think a little preparation would be worth a great deal of spilt blood later. Adjusting the sword at his hip so that he can prepare for whatever may come, he sniffles a little and says, "Space cold, I think," and then sneezes into the crook of his arm. Pulling on his helmet, he seems ready to depart via the airlock and looks to the others expectantly.

*

The flight over through space is quiet, all minds focusing on what is ahead. Even for Davor, who gets on his gauntlet, to where he more feels his drone then watches a screen. While the vacuum of space consumes sound, the connection between them and the vibrations carry just enough noise from mecha landing on the ship near the brig that it can be heard and felt a little. Same with the torches they use to breach the hull, chosing this location than a hatch far away. Over the comsys the soldier indicates, "This should closest to the brig. If you have weapons, ready them now, if something is on there, it could know where here." They don't know if the Curselings can feel vibrations it seems, or are not privy to such information, just a prep. The other light mecha has his rifle at the ready. Pointing at the work.
Good sign, once cut away, its pulled in slowly then falls to the floor, gravity is working it seems. The one with the gun goes in first to lead the kids in. The lights flash in the halls and he points toward the brig itself. "No more than thirty meters with a few twists," through the halls.

*

- Sunny rolls his Transform (1D+1) for a total of 6 (Wild Die: 5), perhaps enough for a Easy task.

*

Chloe transmit a brief 'Affirmative' over the comsys which carries more of her natural voice considering it's not being routed through speakers in her helmet. When the hull pulls in she unattaches her tether to the mecha and manipulates her way around it to the tether holding the drone in place to unattach that as well, then transmit, "Davor, you should send the drone in with that fellow and possibly just to minimize risk just run it to the brig as fast as possible to give us a layout of what we'll find there." As she's speaking she pushes her way gently off the mecha with her legs to propel herself to the Saratoga, readying her rifle as she does so.

*

- Chloe rolls her Acrobatics (3D+2) for a total of 13 (Wild Die: 3), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

- Davor rolls his Perception (4D+0) with a modifier of +1 for a total of 13 (Wild Die: 4), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

- Davor rolls his Search (4D+0) with a modifier of +4 for a total of 20 (Wild Die: 8), perhaps enough for a Difficult task.

*

Weapon ready? Check. Ceres draws her sword and the power of it just washes through her, her hand gripping the hilt as she takes a few breaths of the manufactured air inside her suit. There are no words of advice issued as she listens to the commands, so totally out of her element. This was all practice before, but now it was the real thing. Life or death?

*

"I only need a moment to see if I can sense anything from here," Sunny suggests amiably. Drawing his sword from his hip, he holds it away from others, because it's a long sharp pointy and they're all wearing pressurized space suits. It was one of those things he did without even thinking about it. As they float through the void toward their destination, the young mage narrows his eyes in focus and lets his senses spread. Pausing for a second, Sunny looks at Ceres and Chloe and Davor, and says, "I'm not feeling anything alive. But I've never tried to sense these things, so I'm not sure if they have blood or not."
As he heads towards the breach, he starts to rotate as his mind is elsewhere, and seems like he might just coast in through the breach sideways. Propelled along by his initial inertia.

*

With the orientation she was at when pushing off the mech, Chloe drifts through the breach upside-down relative to the floor, but with a twist of her hips as she enters the gravitational influence, she alights upon one foot and knee, rifle coming up as she does a quick left-right sweep with the barrel. With the lights flickering, she cues the flashlight mounted upon her helmet to flicker into life, a narrow beam of pure white in the momentary disruptions of other sources. She waits for her fellow cadets to enter before she gets to her feet and motions them to follow their CO for this operation.

*

As the unit all gets in, some with clear style, they ready to move. "On it," comes the voice of Davor over their comms as his small drone rolls up ahead towards the brig. "Getting nothing here, halls look clear." Regarding the route to the brig itself. The soldier at the lead responds, "Okay, keep us informed," to Sunny. He doesn't turn so much, the light mecha are taller than standard human and have a hard time in the halls of the Saratoga. He starts to move when he doesn't sense anything, "They bleed, just not like us, poison in their blood." Which could mean while they might not have iron, they're likely to have some other mineral that is metal or close to it. He leads forward and makes turns, "Up ahead here, don't hear anyone." Though, they'd not likely hear it with some dampeners to ignore prisonres maybe.
Davor calls over the comsys, "They all seem comatose." The perception he's getting from his drone when he nears the remaining crew/personnel in the brig.

*

Ceres is carried over because she can't do all the fun and cool tricks. It doesn'stop her being impressed by what Chloe does and what Sunny can do too. "You can tell that from here?" A quiet look through her face shield before she gives a smile and a nod of approval. Nothing alive. Which meant the crew. The smile fades and she heads inside with the others that go in, her sword down and she's sort of crouching a little as she listens and looks around, opting to follow Chloe and her light rather than draw attention to herself with her own. Until she realizes how pitch black it is out here. Her light flickers to life and she walks through the entrance of the eerie ship.

*

As he drifts through the breach, Sunny suddenly finds himself in the artificial gravity of the boat and thuds to the decking, his arm sending the sword away from himself to prevent him from stabbing himself, and he takes a moment to get up and dust himself off. "I'm fine, I'm fine. That was uh.. neat," he says to himself. "Poison? Of course they have poison in them," he says to the soldier, he feels like he should know these things, but he is just trying not to be moody and that is distracting him from the proximity of Oberon and the memories it has taken.
Following Ceres then for the next several meters he replies to her, "I'm learning, but yeah." Suddenly he comes to a stop and reaches out to stop Ceres in front of him with a hand to the shoulder, and holds up a hand to indicate that they should all be stopped. A fist in the air. With a sudden gesture then, he makes a knifing motion with his hand towards a nearby bulkhead and says, "Something big in that room."
In case instructions were unclear, he adds a gesture using his sword to indicate size.

*

- Chloe rolls her Knowledge (4D+0) for a total of 21 (Wild Die: 10), perhaps enough for a Very Difficult task.

*

- Chloe rolls her Tactics (4D+0) for a total of 21 (Wild Die: 11), perhaps enough for a Very Difficult task.

*

Chloe halts up at Sunny's words, and closes her eyes for a moment as she thinks back to the hologram. Over the comsys, "Ceres, Sunny, if you backtrack two point four meteres there's an access hallway for maintence crews into some of the utility rooms, follow it one meter, turn right, follow it two meters, a short ladder up, another two meter jaunt, a ladder down, and then you should be at a back door to that room. CO, I suggest while we wait until they give us conformation they're in position, then we enter through the front door."

*

"That's really cool." Ceres tells him without addressing the whole falling down thing. That part she doesn't mention at all. While the room is mentioned, she goes over the holo display in her mind but doesn't concentrate so much as Chloe gives them the directions. Those she commits to memory and with her blade in hand, she glances back to Sunny, "Shall I lead or would you like to?" There are no qualms with her about leading and she seems ready to should he prefer to follow behind her. Whoever leads, she turns to backtrack for the access hallway.

*

The soldier pauses as the Phenom indicates the presense, he calls through comsys more for benefit of the other soldiers, "We need them in the field." Its almost a whipser, but he nods inside the mecha, a lost gesture to those outside. "Right, glad you remembered that access. Lets get into position in front, let them pull up in the rear." Or opposide side of the room (the plan is there are two doors into the chamber with the presences, Soldier CO and Chloe take main entrance, Sunny and Ceres take the back access to the room to get the jump on whatever it might be). "You two good with that?" He asks of Ceres and Sunny, waiting to see if they are; and if they are he moves to the front. Commenting to Chloe, "When they're ready, I'll take the door down, get its attention, distract if from them." Including her in the distraction. As Ceres is debating lead, he starts moving into his position as battering ram now.

*

"It's what you guys pay us the big bucks for!" Sunny replies to the soldier. "Wait, they aren't paying you guys?" he asks, looking at the adroits, making a stupid joke and then turns to head back the other way with Ceres.
Back tracking with Ceres, Sunny sheathes his sword and says, "I'd say something gentlemanly, but mostly I think you should go first because you're probably way better at fightin' stuff," and follows behind her, staring up at her as they crawl up the ladder and then turn, and follow the directions given by Chloe. Both hands freed, he is able to climb. "We should really be using a um.. space grenade, or something, they have those, right? Just throw it in and close the doors again?" he says to Ceres quietly as they navigate through the labryinthine corridors.
The tall boy sniffles a little again then. "Space cold," he mutters. There's no such thing, of course, but it's cooler to have a space cold than a regular cold.
"Before we go in, let me see if I can get amped up a little," he suggests.
He apparently talks a lot when he's nervous.

*

Chloe's eyes open within her helmet and she nods in response to the CO's suggestion. She turns to watch the others until they disappear into the maintenance hatch, then she brings her rifle to her shoulder and steps into position, a bit to the side so that when the mecha brings down the doors she'll have a slightly better angle of fire beyond it into the room.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (19 WD 1) for a total of 19.

*

Through the maintenance hatch, turn right, two meters, a short ladder up, hesitating once up to wait for Sunny and she laughs a little. "I wish I was getting paid for it." But truly she has all she needs more than likely. "I could use a bigger clothing allowance." She murmurs back, trying to remain at least a modicum of quiet. As they go the next two meters then the ladder down, she finds the door and coms on, "In position." Not going in yet, Sunny was getting amped and she gives him an encouraging look. For the amping or for the space cold, it isn't clear.

*

- Jack rolls 3D (11 WD 2) for a total of 11.

*

- Chloe rolls her Willpower (4D+0) for a total of 13 (Wild Die: 3), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

- Sunny rolls his Transform (1D+1) for a total of 3 (Wild Die: 2), perhaps enough for a Very Easy task.

*

- Ceres rolls her Willpower (3D+0) for a total of 8 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Easy task.

*

- Sunny rolls his Willpower (3D+0) for a total of 14 (Wild Die: 4), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

Its nearing those doors around the room, a sense of dread. CO curses, "Fucking Curseling," he knows the sensation it seems. He inhales his breath, all hear it, he's shaking too. For all its worth, all pressent seemed to feel that dread within them (+2 difficulties in combat). Still, the CO Focuses, and takes a moment too long to open the door, grabbing with both hand styo rend it, when all are in place. They had a surprise advantage, but needing more focus to on the door may loose it. As if to answer just that, Chloe will see a black gaseuos tendril shoot out of the room right at the soldier, who has enough time to curse at least before it rams into the mecha and penetrates the cracks.

*

- Jack rolls 4D (10 WD 1) for a total of 10.

*

He gags a little, it seems to penetrate and he sucks it in.

*

- Chloe rolls her Perception (2D+0) for a total of 7 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Easy task.

*

- Sunny rolls his Perception (3D+0) for a total of 6 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Easy task.

*

- Ceres rolls her Perception (3D+0) for a total of 12 (Wild Die: 4), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

- Ceres rolls her Melee Weapons:swords (5D+0) for a total of 16 (Wild Die: 3), perhaps enough for a Difficult task.

*

- Ceres rolls 3D (13 WD 4) for a total of 13.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (15 WD 4) for a total of 15.

*

- Chloe rolls her Firearms (4D+0) for a total of 8 (Wild Die: 4), perhaps enough for a Easy task.

*

- Sunny rolls his Melee Weapons (5D+2) for a total of 11 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

They enter the room simultaneously and Ceres, with her sword already drawn, zeroes in on the curseling. It's the first time she'd actually seen on in person and she hesitates just enough that her sword only nicks it. Her hands are trembling as she watches the tendril towards the mecha man and she wants to save him.. she draws back enough the others get their shot in before she'll try again.

*

Chloe hesitates briefly as she feels the dread overcome her, which makes her act a bit slowly. She watches Ceres streak forward though and it reminds her of the mission at hand, narrowing her eyes in concentration, but that sudden motion of the tendril launching at the mecha makes her jerk slightly and her aim goes sideways, sending a trio of bullets into a panel just beyond the creature, the dull thud of the ballstics hammering against metal before the panel lets out a shower of sparks and its circuitry goes dead.

*

Rushing in through the door, Sunny doesn't make any quips, he's scared out of his mind, but whatever fear he has is squashed down like a bug under the rising ire of his rage. He'd never seen a Curseling in person, but every ounce of his sanity is suddenly frayed as he abandons all reason and tries to cut the thing in half. Lashing out with a three feet of high quality steel. His sword singing as he tries to hack through the thing's hide repeatedly. But just ends up sort of flailing angrily. His face beet red in fury.
"I-I hate you!" he yells at the creature. Every movement of his sword over-exaggerated as he loses himself. In the melee, he sidesteps and catches his sword on a nearby bit of furniture, and he has to pause to put a foot up on the table and try to wrench it free. Looking over his shoulder repeatedly at the Auratalon.
The rage mingled with a terrible realization that he wasn't ready for this. He would have to train harder. He'd kill them all.
Once he gets the sword out of this table.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (23 WD 1) for a total of 23.

*

- Jack rolls 6D (28 WD 8) for a total of 28.

*

- Ceres rolls 6D (24 WD 5) for a total of 24.

*

- Ceres has lost 4 wound points. She is now Healthy.

*

As the group concentrates on the Curseling, it feels the nick of Ceres' blade. It stands in the middle of the room, exuding the gas miasma, but using it as a tendril to hold and poison the soldier in the mecha. He is struggling with it, the extended miasma leaves it open and visible at least, not hidden in the folds, wisps and coils of its dark shadowy gas. Turning a hand, it swipes at Ceres, catching here where she couldn't penetrate its armor.

*

- Ceres rolls her Melee Weapons:swords (5D+0) for a total of 24 (Wild Die: 4), perhaps enough for a Very Difficult task.

*

- Ceres rolls 3D (25 WD 16) for a total of 25.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (20 WD 3) for a total of 20.

*

- Chloe rolls her Firearms (4D+0) for a total of 13 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Moderate task.

*

- Chloe rolls 4D (10 WD 3) + 1 for a total of 11.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (13 WD 1) for a total of 13.

*

- Sunny rolls his Melee Weapons (5D+2) for a total of 17 (Wild Die: 4), perhaps enough for a Difficult task.

*

Rawr! Ceres gets hit by the talon or something, whatever it is that strikes her and causes the damage. "Oomph.." It hurts, but it also angers her and she draws her blade back further before swinging it with all her might at the creature. It hits, jars her a little but does damage to the curseling too. Considering it a triumph, she continues to fight along with her fellow magic users.

*

It is absolutely sheer luck that Chloe even hits this time, because when she sees it hit Ceres and fearing the worst, she squeezes her eyes closed and pulls the trigger at the same time. There's the muffled tat-tat-tat of the three round burst as it tattoos against the being's hide. Despite her training, despite her professional approach so far, and forgetting she's still keyed into the comsystem, everyone can hear the whimpering "Oh god oh god oh god." that comes softly out of Chloe's mouth as she momentarily freezes up.

*

- Sunny rolls 7D (25 WD 8) for a total of 25.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (13 WD 3) for a total of 13.

*

Sword pulled from table, Sunny turns and yells again, lost in his fury and frustration. He turns and steps forward, thrusting the blade length-wise at the auratalon. "Eat a bag of dicks!" he yells at the big curseling and then hops back with a slick of curseling blood on his blade. His anger suddenly satiated, his eyes clear and he says, "Watch out Ceres," suddenly aware, a bit late, that she has been hit, he looks to her to make sure she is still alright, and then looks back to the beast.

*

- Jack rolls 1D (9 WD 9) for a total of 9.

*

- Jack rolls 3D (14 WD 4) for a total of 14.

*

- Jack rolls 6D (19 WD 2) for a total of 19.

*

- Sunny rolls 6D (16 WD 1) for a total of 16.

*

- Sunny has lost 3 wound points. He is now Healthy.

*

It pauses as Chloe hits it, blinking its thoughts so to speak, as close as an Auratalon can. Its the blades biting at it by Ceres and Davor that draw its attention. Not knowing the explicitive, its more the real damage from him. They can see, its faltering in its steps though, its version of blood oozing from the cuts of their swords. It almost misses, but a lite attack by one of its talons hits Sunny as it falls back a little.

*

- Ceres rolls her Melee Weapons:swords (5D+0) for a total of 27 (Wild Die: 11), perhaps enough for a Heroic task.

*

- Ceres rolls 6D (19 WD 4) for a total of 19.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (19 WD 4) for a total of 19.

*

- Chloe rolls her Firearms (4D+0) for a total of 17 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Difficult task.

*

- Chloe rolls 4D (15 WD 7) + 1 for a total of 16.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (25 WD 4) for a total of 25.

*

- Sunny rolls his Melee Weapons (5D+2) for a total of 22 (Wild Die: 3), perhaps enough for a Very Difficult task.

*

- Sunny rolls 7D (20 WD 1) for a total of 20.

*

- Jack rolls 5D (14 WD 3) for a total of 14.

*

Ceres takes a moment to check on the others, Sunny when he gets hit, Chloe as she fights, but her focus and intent is helping the mecha man and the three of the students there. Even injured, which is highly uncomfortable, but the adrenaline helps, she swings, nicks, the alien hide seems tough and she just fights on. It's scary still, very scary, but she wants to live!

*

Chloe is doing the literal spray and pray, because she's still muttering "Oh god oh god oh god." Clearly she's not coping so well with the situation at hand, but the training is kicking in because she's still releasing and pulling the trigger, and maybe even her training is keeping her aim steady and her other senses unconciously guiding her hands to keep the rifle's barrel pointed at the enemy and not at her own troops. Another stacco of ballistic fire, another peppering of bullets against the Curseling's hide, but Chloe's still standing in the same position, eyes squeezed shut in her pure white TerraArmor.

*

Now fighting with a bit less abandon and with a more practiced motion, Sunny's attacks start to take on a far more orderly and practiced motion. A twist of the hips, a flick of the edge of his sword, a quick motion of the blade across the center-line to keep the auratalon from immediately riposting, and finally a biting blow that cuts into it, and once again his sword comes away with blood on his blade. "I'm going to survive!" he tells Ceres, like it's a revelation. "I know, because I'm not dying a virgin!" he declares. It's his armor in this situation. That and the literal armor he is wearing. He is giddy with fear and adrenaline, but fighting as best he can.

*

As the final blow lands there, Sunny again makes contact with the beast, more blood flowing from the creature. It staggers back, then slumps, taking some furniture with it as it collapes. Though it seems to be breathing for all intent and purposes. Good thing for Davor and the virgin comment, he has no actual visuals at the moment, his drone may not be close. He's quietly listening on his end perhaps.
The CO in his mecha is silent as well right now, and inside the unit they can't tell if he's breathing, the ones in this room. It seems currently its a victory.

*

- Sunny rolls 7D (21 WD 3) for a total of 21.

*

The revelation from Sunny doesn't quite stop Ceres forward attack motion, until he strikes it and it stumbles and falls. With pink cheeks (hey that's from the exertion of fighting!) she looks over at Sunny, a sign that she had heard his declaration? Maybe! She doesn't swing at the thing, she doesn't know the protocol either and steps back. It was Sunny's kill anyway. She hunches over a little, hands on her knees and breathes in and out, safely beneath her helm, shoulders rising and falling. "Is everyone okay?"

*

- Jack rolls 6D (31 WD 17) for a total of 31.

*

- Chloe rolls her Mechanical (3D+0) for a total of 10 (Wild Die: 5), perhaps enough for a Easy task.

*

'Oh god' is still going over the comms, that is until Chloe hear's Ceres voice ask if everyone is ok, then she just drops her rifle, yup, lets it go. But the shoulder strap catches it and it changes course to jutter at the end of the nylon strap by her side. She opens her eyes and quickly bolts to the mecha, climbing up the front of it, looking for the emergency release she knows is tucked into a niche somewhere along the exterior of the cockpit. Finally finding it she almost pulls the lever then thinks better of it, instead broadcasting over the comms, "Titan's Hope, this is cadet Gunavil, we seem to have knocked out the Curseling aboard this vessel, however, the mecha has sustained a breach and I think its pilot is hurt or dead. Please advise."

*

- Sunny rolls his Sense (1D+1) for a total of 2 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Very Easy task.

*

Stalking forward as the creature falls over, Sunny scarcely hesitates to try to kill it, his sword thunking dully off of its armored carapace a scarce moment before the sound of McPhearson can be heard coming from the brig. "Wait, we need to preserve some of the specimen!" the voice comes.
The hesitates to swing again and calls back, "What parts do you want?" a bit mean, because he really does hate these things. Even as he asks, he studies the creature and puts his blade right against it, prepared to execute it the moment he knows what they are being asked to do. "Do you just want it alive?" he asks of the voice coming from the ether. "It's unconscious, or playing possum, I don't really know how to tell."

*

Dr. McPhearson comes into the room proper. "We can preserve a few parts, not the whole thing." He indicates, coming to look over the beastie. Bending down even, checking vitals. "Just enough, the part we're keeping is in its brain. We'll have to check the containment, don't know how it managed to escape." As if, in part, having some brain with him lead to it becoming a fully realized Curseling of some sort. No comments from him.
Over the comsys, "Thanks goodness," from Davor, his sister is alive and well it seems. He's good. The Captain call over too, "What's the status, I got a read on the CO, but its faint." To confirm the mecha pilot is alove, but seems barely, after the chocking he received. They can hear the clank of footsteps, the other soldier is coming too, breach sealed well enough for now it seems.

*

Ceres just leans back against the wall and takes a breather after sheathing her sword. Hands lift and clasp behind her head as the adrenaline abates and she's left with weak knees and arms. There's no input from her as to the condition of the thing, but she does watch and observe, and she can see the hate in Sunny for the creature. There's a look to Chloe though too before she confirms over the com to her brother that she is indeed fine.

*

"So, take the head?" Sunny asks, a bit bloodthirsty and once he is certain he isn't about to ruin the researcher's research, he stabs it once through a central artery at an odd angle so that the blood pours out away from the others. His blade slipping through the armor. "Taking the head," he confirms to the doctor, and helps to retrieve the head by slipping his blade through the armor around its neck and freeing its head, he hands the head to the doctor. The carefree boy coming and going again when he really focuses on the curseling. Utter contempt plain on his face.
Once he has seen to the task, he goes to stand with the others, and cleans his sword with the proscribed method, to free it of the toxic poison.
"Sory about all that, I-I .." he pauses, "I don't like them."

*

Chloe seems content with that assessment, and considering there is really little she can do but actually kill him by popping open the cockpit in the atmosphere-lacking ship interior she hops down from the mecha's front. She watches with detachment at the gory display of beheading, but she's clearly a bit at ill-ease, stiff, quiet and detached.

*

Chloe has partially disconnected.

*

Ceres has every intention of looking away when the thing is beheaded, but rapt revulsion remains on her features as she keeps watch despite her best intentions. Only when she catches that look of contempt does she manage to look away, as if that was worse than the beheading or something. "If we're finished, I want to go back." Hands clasp behind her back, the mecha pilot guy was her ride over, so she watches Chloe with him to see how he was. "Is everyone good enough to fly back over?"

*

Chloe shrugs a little and responds through the semi-modulated speakers of her helmet, "He's not awake, and unless we find the bulkhead controls to seal this part of the ship and if the life support is functioning enough to refill the atmosphere, we can't risk trying to treat him, that other soldier in the mecha suit should probably be able to haul us across though, and maybe we blow a hole in the ship and attach a cable from Titan's Hope to haul this mecha back into the loading bay?"

*

With his hands cleaned, Sunny stands beside Ceres and Chloe and looks at the man in the cockpit of the mecha. "I could try to heal him, maybe, but I'm not very good at this stuff, maybe I shouldn't risk making him explode or something," he mentions, not even certain he can heal, but sort of suspecting he might be able to. Having cleaned his sword, he re-sheathes it and tries to calm his nerves. "I knew they'd do the fear aura thing, but I didn't really expect it to be like it was, .. but it was."

*

"If you have the ability, you could try it, because if he doesn't get help he could die in there. I'd hate to think the Curse took even another life. Especially on our watch. They trust us to be the new faces of the war against the Curse, so maybe it's here and now we prove their faith is well founded?" A look of sympathy and understanding flashes in her eyes. "That aura thing was terrible."

- Sunny rolls his Transform (1D+2) for a total of 3 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Very Easy task.

*

- Sunny rolls his Transform (1D+2) for a total of 3 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Very Easy task.

*

- Sunny rolls his Transform (1D+2) for a total of 3 (Wild Die: 1), perhaps enough for a Very Easy task.

*

After trying for several moments to heal the man through the canopy of the mech, Sunny shakes his head and says, "I'm worried I'm going to make him start bleeding out his pores or something," and lowers his hand, his focused attention slipping away as he steps back and looks to the others, "We should get him back to the transport. They can probably stabilize him if we don't wait too long," he says and prepares to head out with the others.

*

Injuries sustained, the discovery McPhearson and a few researches along with a lone wounded soldier in the brig. It seems the Cursling skulked about in shadow at first. If not for the senses of Sunny, it may have done the same to the students. The secure the crew and everyone transfers to Titan's Hope. Back in debrief, Admiral Bennett seems in a mood. Like criticism to come. He speaks to them, "For what it's worth, you proved effective in the field. The test was a success." Again he pauses to let that thought settle, "There is no turning back from this point, we will continue to teach, but you've proven yourselves mission ready." It isn't just training in exotic locations anymore, reality sinks in.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License